Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Terrific Tuesday!!


Today is a totally random day. My husband is in San Jose taking his POST exam. The POST exam is a requirement for him to become a Police Officer so my fingers are crossed and I pray he passes! My kiddos started preschool a couple of weeks ago and because I work there they get to go for FREE! Isn't that super amazing? Do you know what it costs for a child to go to a "non-ghetto" preschool in the Bay Area? It costs a fortune and I have 2 kids to pay for!!! I am SOOO blessed!! They weren't really getting used to being there because I wasn't bringing them consistently, so their teacher asked me to bring them every day for the next 2 weeks so that they can adjust. Today I have the day off of work so I am just catching up on all of the things I NEED to get done! It is just so weird for me to be in my house all alone and have SILENCE! So I just took a really hot shower, for the first time in a long time got to take my time shaving my legs (this is a big deal for me if you are wondering why I added this detail), did a load of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and then put some Chicken Enchilada Chili in the crock pot! My Aunt Cindy made this dish for us while we were camping in Dinkey Creek and I just fell in love! Since today is super chilly I thought it would be a perfect dinner to warm my little family up!! Here is the recipe in case you wanted to give it a try!

  • 11/2 cups prepared enchilada sauce (read labels carefully if avoiding gluten)
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomatoes with seasoning (your choice: I had garlic and olive oil on hand)
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans pinto or kidney beans with juice (or 1 cup dry pinto beans, soaked overnight)
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 onion, diced, or 1 tablespoon dried minced onion flakes
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 11/2 pounds chicken (thighs, legs, breasts—your choice)
  • shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream for serving (optional)

  • I just throw all of it in the crock pot and cook on high for like 6 hours! =) Then I make some corn bread to serve with it! Happy Crockin!
  • 1 comment:

    Unknown said...

    Britt, this cracks me up. I know the feeling. I love a long, hot shower and a good shave. What s does for a girl! I am happy that you have some time in the quiet. Sometimes the quiet makes me sad. But, it quickly goes away and I cannot wait for the next bit of quiet. Enjoy your day love!